Monday, September 22, 2008

Today A Party

Today I was cleaning for a party. After sorting our movies by color, I sat in their calming presence contemplating my next move.
Dust and cobwebs cluttered the edges and centers of the floor, and the rugs clung to several threads, snipped from being-made Barbie clothes you may now purchase over there. over THERE. That way. In the column. The other column.....Finally. *sighs in relief* (end asterisk)

My mother is a tireless preparer for company. From dawn 'til dusk she slaves in the kitchen, looking domestically lovely, sighing about time frames, plans, and diligently crossing off her list of to-dos. I am like her in so many regards, but housecleaning not being one of them, I cannot function in this frenzied stress. I cannot cope. It makes me say "it's naptime!"

When I had once again risen from my couch, in the time when normal people go out for walks, I remembered to dust the children's toys and check Facebook. As I was finishing up my pokewars for the day, I heard my nephew charge into the house to find Papa. Quite sneakily, I stalked out of the office roundaboutly, to greet them as if I was one of those normal people out for a walk. I put on my Auntie smile, and was perfectly satisfied with the house, as I had managed to get it clean, scrubbed, and tidy, as I always do in these situations.

2 comments:

the delapers said...

You are so funny, I love reading your posts!

If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done!

Casey said...

LOL, I totally agree! I hate the endless housecleaning when people come over. Its so overwhelming, and usually there isnt that much to do.. Just that fact that I want it to be perfect! :) p.s. I love "naptime"