Friday, December 19, 2008

Details, details, details


I am such a details person.

I can have everything vacuumed, lined up in a row, sparkling, but when I am sitting down to tea with a friend, I see a corner with cobwebs. A shelf with an icky outdated, messy display drives me insane the whole time. I wonder if they're noticing .....
I notice corners, shelves, curtains, and such when I visit places. Who cares if it's dusty, as long as it's decorated?

I have been known, in crunch time before guests arrive, to forsake the can of Pledge to sort the dvds by color, hang straggling Christmas cards, Rearrange pictures on the refrigerator. (take down the old ones, and such), Frame new pictures, scrub the kitchen cabinets, clean out that picture that has been sitting behind the bookshelf for years, but is poking out a few inches.....and oh my, there are several other things, and the dust back here is terrible, where is that vacuum cleaner? And on the off chance of them looking too closely, I sometimes scrub the countertop appliances. No matter how many specks are under the table from scrapbooking. Any normal person would be vacuuming and dusting, but me? 

I must make sure the colors are flowing. And once the details are cute, I can think about the big picture of "clean." If I have time. 

There must be some psychological meaning to it. Some quirky insight to my life I must glean from this idiosyncratic bizzarity of mine. But I'll think about it later. 
I have now sat and blogged with the dusting rag in my hand..........

7 comments:

the delapers said...

You are funny! I could use a detail kind of person right now on my house! When company is coming over, I tend to start with the most unneeded area...like the laundry room...and save for the last second important places...like the living room or entryway..

EL said...

Haha! As always, you are an excellent writer! Loved this one...

Jennifer said...

Ha! And now that you have the ancient picture behind the bookshelf dusted, perhaps you could help with the vacuuming!
:)


Hmmm...an interesting note...
the word verification below is the word "butbut" I find that interesting....

Casey said...

LOL, I wish I had that problem :) I am tooo lax on stuff then freak out when people come over to pick up quickly :) Hey, you can come over and dust my house anytime!

tinkalinka said...

dust...what dust...where...is there such a thing as dust?

Unknown said...

I knew there had to be a reason I felt a connection with you . . . you just wrote about me! In the past when we were getting ready to go on a trip, would I be packing my toiletries? ? no way, I would be cleaning and organizing the hall closet . . . after all it was a mess and had needed attention for quite some time . . .

Abigail Hastings said...

you would have a cleaning fit in my room, Dutchess.